The OCF runs the Mailman mailing list manager. This software is full-featured and allows list managers a variety of ways to control the usage of the mailing list, including controlling who can subscribe to the list, moderating posts to the list, and so forth. Of course, lists can be set up with few restrictions as well. The list manager interface is web-based and fairly easy to use.
Setting up a Mailman list
Group account owners may request a Mailman list to be set up by emailing OCF staff (see our contact info). Please include the following information:
- Your group's OCF email address. The list owner email address must be an OCF email address.
- The name of your mailing list. For example, if your list name is cal-mailing-list-enthusiasts, then the email address for posting to it will be firstname.lastname@example.org. Please separate words with dashes (as opposed to, say, spaces), and to make sure that the name of your mailing list does not conflict with existing or future usernames it should be either:
- More than 8 characters long, or
- Contain nonalphabetic characters, such as a hyphen ("-").
After your list is set up, you should receive an email with a temporary password and the URL where you can manage your list.
Managing a Mailman list
If you have lost the URL for managing your list, the URL is simple to reconstruct. Supposing your mailing list is named foobar-list, then the URL is
If you have lost your list admin password, email OCF staff to get it reset.
Bulk e-mail policy
Anyone using OCF mailing lists must comply with the OCF policy on bulk e-mail.
- Mailman list manager documentation may be of interest to list owners.